Our work is based on the simple belief that New Yorkers understand the needs of their community better than any outsider. We help ordinary people like you to implement their own vision for their neighborhoods and schools. While the projects that we support confront diverse issues, they all address concerns that matter to local residents!
Watch the videos above to see how we are helping ordinary New Yorkers transform their neighborhoods.
In 2012 alone, Citizens Committee for New York City is awarding nearly $600,000 in micro-grants and providing hundreds of hours of skills-building workshops and project planning assistance to more than 300 neighborhood groups. We are mobilizing more than 6,300 New Yorkers who are dedicating upwards of 75,000 hours to improving their own communities.
In partnerships with hundreds of grassroots groups and thousands of civic minded New Yorkers throughout the city, we:
• Transform vacant lots into vibrant community gardens
• Make fresh produce available to New York City’s neediest families
• Create arts and cultural programs
• Establishe recycling and composting programs in neighborhoods and schools
• Beautify city blocks
• Advocate for tenants rights
• Watch out for each other’s safety
• And much more!
Click here to see a map of the most recent projects we supported.